With raining season comes a very high possibility of a flooded environment; this will not sound strange to inhabitants of Lagos State most especially those who were victims of car flooding during the heavy rainfall.
Flooding can occur within a short frame of time following a heavy rainstorm; in periods like this, both lives and properties are at huge risk.
Notwithstanding the situation, it is one of our sole responsibilities to keep your vehicles in a good and functional state during flooding.
What is flooding?
A flood is a natural event or occurrence where a piece of land (or area) that is usually dry land, suddenly gets submerged under water.
Some floods can occur suddenly and recede quickly, others take days or even months to build and discharge.
Flooding is extremely dangerous and has the potential to wipe away an entire city, coastline or area, and cause extensive damage to life and property.
It also has great erosive power and can be extremely destructive, even if it is a foot high. Eschooltoday
Maneuvering your vehicles through flooded areas: Do’s and Don’ts
In as much as flooding isn’t a good thing as it can cause severe damage to life and property; there is the need to move from one place to another and for those who are mobile, this means making use of cars.
Although it is advisable to avoid flooded areas altogether; at times, this is just so unavoidable.
DO’s During Car Flooding
These tips will help keep you and your car safe when driving through a flooded area:
- Never enter standing water with speed,always slow down or stop completely while driving into it.
- Maintain a steady pace; not too fast so as not to lose steering control , and not too slow so as not to get stuck.
- Rather than jump into the water first, watch what happens to other vehicles around so as to have an idea of what to expect.
- While slowing down before driving into a flooded road, ensure hazard lights are turned on for indication. Also make sure your vehicle has sufficient weight so as to avoid floating in the flood.
- Turn off the air conditioning in your vehicle so as to avoid damage to the fan in engine compartment by the water flow while driving.
- Change your gear; for manual transmission, put it in (1) while for automatic transmission (+-) on (1)
- Ensure you dry out your brakes as they will be wet after passing through a flooded area.
DON’TS During Car Flooding- Cars.com
- Do not attempt to start the car! It’s tempting to turn the key and see if the car still works, but if there is water in the engine, attempting to start it could damage it beyond repair.
- Never Panic
- Refrain from using your energy trying to open the doors because water pressure will keep them from budging (wait for the pressure to equalize).
- Do not try to save your possessions.
- Do not try to break windows to get out. If water pressure has not equalized, glass will explode inward toward you or other occupants.
- Once out, do not stay with your car. Get to high ground.
- Do not stand on the roof of your car. If your car is swept away, you’ll be carried away with it. You could also fall and injure yourself if the car shifts abruptly.
- Do not return to your car if you think the water level is going down. Water levels could rise without warning. Allow emergency personnel to tow your vehicle to a safe place.
Car Flooding: Our Role in Ensuring Your Car’s Safety
Why Choose Us?
Our focus is on helping you get the most value by following maintenance programs that deliver reliable and well maintained vehicles.
Over the past few months, we at Allied Rescue Services have been actively involved in repairing flood damaged vehicles of our clients from far and near.
Our group of experts fixing a water flooded Mercedes GL550
Our services are not limited to dry seasons alone, they also extend across wet seasons and we ensure your vehicles are in good state in dry season and wet season.
We have well seasoned and experienced hands to fix that damage caused by flood and return your vehicle to its original state and even much more.
With your cooperation, we shall work to make your vehicle the way the manufacturer intended. We are on a mission to make motoring easier for all, and propose to be your lifelong partner in the upkeep of your vehicles for both maintenance and repair efforts.
Our past and present records attests to our credibility and professionalism when it comes to giving our clients the very best they deserve.
Partner with us today and let’s give hope to your dream of a long lasting, well maintained and highly functional car.